Internship Science Intern, Laboratory Based Research at DowAgro
Summer Intern Opportunities
Dow AgroSciences is searching for the best and brightest students who are interested in R&D summer internship opportunities. These are full-time positions available from May until August at our headquarters in Indianapolis, IN. Applicable majors would include:
- Biology (biochemistry, biotechnology, cell biology, entomology, microbiology, molecular biology, plant pathology, or plant physiology)
- Chemistry (analytical, organic, or physical)
- Informatics (bioinformatics or chemical)
- Any agriculture-related majors
Our Research and Development Summer Intern program provides an opportunity for students to work closely with senior scientists in order to improve technical skills while being given a developmental opportunity in an industrial setting. It is desirable that the intern have past practical experience in handling chemicals, operating laboratory equipment, generating and manipulating data, as well as computer database and word-processing skills. Interns are encouraged to be creative and take initiative, where appropriate, and will be granted significant latitude for discretionary decisions and independence of action within guidelines established by their supervisor. Interns are expected to always operate in a safe and efficient manner.
Qualified interns should be pursuing a BS or MS degree in biology, chemistry, informatics, or closely related majors. Interns will be part of a team responsible for the development of novel agricultural products. Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, teamwork and time management skills are essential. All students pursuing a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree from a U.S. based college or university with proper U.S. work authorization or the ability to obtain work authorization through their university are eligible.
- Review and research project background and status with mentor
- Become proficient in laboratory and/or greenhouse experiments or biochemical assays to characterize experimental, developmental, and commercial herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and products of biotechnology
- Participate in all phases of research including planning, preparation, calibration, application, evaluation, data analysis, maintenance, and when necessary, appropriate disposal.
- Design and conduct experiments, with mentorship guidance, within a defined project
- Make novel observations
- Collect and interpret data
- Draw sound scientific conclusions based on data analysis. The results of these studies, and the conclusions generated, will impact research plans and advancement decisions on the experimental materials.
- Present project reviews before colleagues and peers
Well-positioned for future growth.
You’re working on your education. Now it’s time to work on your career. An internship with Dow AgroSciences lets you learn from a global leader through real-world, hands-on experience, focused on your interests, with targeted training from experts in the field.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Who can apply for an internship?
A: All students pursuing a Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree from a U.S. based college or university with proper U.S. work authorization or the ability to obtain work authorization through their university are eligible.
Q: What is the timeframe for the internship?
A: Internships begin in May and end in August. Definitive dates will be established once contact has been made with your research mentor.
Q: When should I apply?
A: You may begin applying in August prior to the summer you would like an internship. The deadline for resume submission is November 1, 2014.
Q: Is this a paid internship?
A: Yes! Intern salary levels are set competitively (based on a survey of similar companies). Salaries are adjusted according to your year in school.
Q: Are internships only available in Indianapolis or do you have other facilities?
A: Our laboratory-based Research and Development internships are located at our global headquarters in Indianapolis, IN.
Q: Is there a travel allowance?
A: You may be eligible for a lump sum reimbursement for relocation to your work site.
Q: Is housing provided?
A: Yes, subsidized housing is available for qualified students. You will be responsible for a small percentage of the total housing cost. Ground transportation to and from our Indianapolis site will be available at no additional cost.
Q: Will I be involved in activities outside of my research project?
A: Definitely! You will participate in group meetings and have opportunities to attend various other meetings and events. Safety is a top priority, so a safety orientation and monthly safety meetings are on the agenda. You may also have the opportunity to participate in roundtable discussions with company group leaders, executives, and/or fellow scientists to get a feel for what Dow AgroSciences is all about. We also plan social gatherings, based upon the interest of the interns.
Q: Will I have to give a presentation?
A: Yes, towards the end of your internship you will be required to present a poster, summarizing your research, to an audience of R&D associates. In addition, since you will be part of a research team, you may be asked to present at a team/group meeting. These are great opportunities to polish your public speaking skills in a non-threatening environment.